Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The No Excuses Workout - Day 15

Today, Monday (I'm still catching up on posts, so this is going up on Tuesday) is the final week of Phase One.  I'll review the workout at the end, but what seemed really simple (a single exercise and walking once around the block) has already grown into a very effective workout.

Morning Workout

Table Top - three times (from Day One)
Hug and Release - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Three)
Elevation - three times (from Day Four)
Lift - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Five)
Tic Toc - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Six)
Plank - three times (from Day Eight)
Tiny - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Nine)
Hang - three times (from Day Ten)
Bend - three times (from Day Eleven)
Reach - three times (from Day Thirteen)
Pushup - one time, six repetitions (from Day Thirteen)

Cardio

Another twenty minutes of Walking With Purpose.  I tend to pick new routes and walk for 10 minutes in one direction before turning around and walking home.

PM Workout

Twist (No Shout) - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Two)
Bobble Head - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Three)
Too Sexy - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Four)
Popeye - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Five)
Kick Back - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Eight)
Flight - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Nine)
Pump - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Ten)
Chair one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Eleven)
Good Morning - one time, twenty repetitions (from Day Fourteen)

New Exercise: Lower

In all honesty, this is one of my least favorite exercises, not because it targets my triceps, but because it's hard.

Even getting into the starting position is less than a joy.

Backing up to a kitchen counter top (or crouching with my back to a chair) I place my hands palm down on the edge of the counter (or the seat of the chair) so that I'm gripping it before me.  I then move my feet far enough in front of me so that I'm supporting my body weight almost entirely with my arms.

That's the starting position.

From there it's simply a matter of raising my torso straight up and down using only my arms.  I'll do twenty repetitions.  If the movement becomes too difficult, I'll move my feet closer to my body to reduce the weight I'm lifting with my arms.  It may not seem like much, but moving my feet even an inch or two (in either direction) can make a significant adjustment to the movement's difficulty level.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed with what you are doing. My workout this year is walking an hour 4 times a week. I'm doing pretty well with it, also on a diet that's actually working for me as well. Once I get down to a certain weight, I want to do strength training exercises like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen: Congrats! All that's important is that it works for you. :)

    This workout works for me simply because it starts out very simple (one exercise and a one-block walk) and builds a little bit each day. I'm just not very good at saying, "Hey! A twenty minute workout... I can do that." I'm the type that keeps thinking, "I'll do it later..." and later never comes. LOL To be functional, I have to have that "I did this much yesterday and all I'm doing is one more today - I can do that." If I don't, I tend to avoid it all together... ;)

    ReplyDelete