Thursday, April 28, 2011

Musical Alphabet - X

Okay.  As far as "off the radar" music is concerned, the letter "X" is clearly not a popular letter.  I had to get a little creative, but here are three "X"-themed tracks for your listening enjoyment...

School House Rock - "Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla"

I have a theory that everything wrong with our country can be traced back to the disappearance of School House Rock.  Think about it - if we lived in a time where our priorities were to create amazing educational commercials for children (instead of making a buck), how many other things would also have to change to accommodate that vision?  School House Rock was a force more powerful than we ever imagined...



Zoe Keating - "Sun Will Set"
from her album, One Cello x 16: Natoma

I've actually seen Zoe in concert (tickets were $8! Woohoo!) and to fully appreciate her music, you have to see her live.  This entire piece is performed by one woman playing one cello.  She has a laptop and recording equipment on stage with her, samples a track, and then layers over the top of it - all with a push of her toe.  (There's a bonus track at the end of this where an artist you're probably very familiar with does the same thing with equally impressive results.)



X - "Los Angeles"

When we looked at the letter J, we heard a really beautiful folk song by singer John Doe.  Here he is again, much younger, as one of the founders for the punk band, X.



Bonus Track: KT Tunstall – "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" (Live)

While this has nothing to do with the letter X, it's one of the reasons why I’m really impressed with KT…

7 comments:

  1. Let the music play on. I just want you to know I will still critique one chapter at a time for you. My daughter wanted to try formatting and who knew, she'd discover such talent?
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you tossed in the bonus track, love KT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black horse and the cherry. Now that's a great song. And the pronoun song brings back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really only a marginal KT fan until I saw this clip of her performing live. That instantly earned all kinds of respect in my world. I'm glat you enjoyed it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved School House Rock! I still remember "Conjunction junction, what's your function" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. @CR Our kids have watched all of the videos and know most of the songs by heart. Conjunction Junction was one of my favorites too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nancy Thank you very much for the offer! Let me get out from under my pile of backlog so I can breathe and survey the landscape... LOL :)

    ReplyDelete